Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mulled over






Another day, another blizzard.  Last time it was this bad out I was a first grader trick-or-treating in the Great Halloween Blizzard of 1991.  Thank God I am now of age to buy alcohol.  My friend Natalie and I tried braving the storm yesterday to run some errands.  Coming back was quite the pins-and-needles-in- your-face ordeal.  I made a batch of mulled wine to warm us up.  This recipe is a variation from the Joy of Cooking recipe and is quite simple (and probably more affordable than buying mulling spices).

Simply, put the peels of 4 clementine oranges, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1/4 cup sugar and 750 ml of Merlot in a pot.  Bring it to a simmer, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.  Serve hot! 

It can be a great gift as well!  Just pour into a pretty bottle and presto.

No comments: