Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Small Landscapes


 

 

I love gardening, indoor and outdoor, but it's pretty safe to say I have a lot to learn.  Often times, I over-water, under-water or do something to send my pretty plants to an early grave.  My mother, who I think may have the greenest thumb on Earth, gave me a few tips I'd like to share as we enter into the gardening season:
  • Get a humidity gauge.  It's all about the watering.  You can pick one of these up for under $10, and it can make all the difference.  On the back of the package is usually a plant guide, what types of plants should be as what in the humidity range.  Amazon has a few here
  • Know what you're planting.  If it's an indoor or outdoor variety, know how much light and water it needs.  Is it even right for your region? 
  • Drainage.  I always make sure my container plants have a couple inches of rock at the bottom and an adequate drainage hole.
I hope to have better luck this year with my herbs, and with the new things I'm planting, such as zuchinni, edamame, and lavender.  Since we are in the city, and we have crazy gangs of rabbits in our neighborhood,  we're going to have to get creative with hanging baskets and raised containers.  I'll be sure to keep you posted!

No comments: